How Special is Special Revelation?

Just a thought... and just thinking/reviewing about what I had learned from a podcast couple weeks ago. I want to remember them, so I find myself recapping everything in my head..
I don't remember the names of the speakers, but they were talking about general revelation and special revelation. Right when I heard those words, I automatically thought about the things I've learned through R.C. Sproul's book, "What is Reformation Theology?". And as I was trying to gather up my thoughts, they started talking about the differences between them, how through general revelation, God revealed himself through the things around us. They talked about how if you look at nature, you can see that someone greater is in control and all these things reflect God himself. In order to remember that, i remember memorizing it as "God generally revealed himself through nature... its so general that even a non-christian will be able to see that there is God, or at least the thought of a higher being, just by perceiving nature." On this topic, they said something like "Yea, even though God revealed himself through this revelation, you can't have a thorough understanding of God or even Jesus. Nature doesn't reveal the redemptive plan that God had through Jesus Christ. Nature doesn't explain the gospel."

The very next thing he talked about was the special revelation. He emphasized how special revelation is indeed special because God not only displayed himself through nature, but he articulated himself, his gospel, his plan through actual words so that we may have a CLEAR understanding of who He is and what he will do. It's the only place where you will hear about His Son dying on the cross for our sins. It's the only place where he will articulate encouraging words, rebuking words, correcting words, saving words; it's directly to us and for us to listen. Just the thought of that amazes me! These are His Words.... it's not just another person who we meet casually during the week, but THEE ONE AND ONLY GOD'S WORD! Just thinking over this thought again in my head really humbles me and really makes me value his Scripture even more. And that's the reason why I want to blog this to myself... because I want to always remember this...

Cherish His words Ann!

Comments

Popular Posts