"Super" Christians

A thought I had during the week that somewhat bugged me the more I thought about it.

What exactly is a "super" Christian? What do people mean when they call someone a "super" Christian? This topic came up several times before in different conversations, and each time I ask this same question in my head. Am I the only one that gets bugged by this? Yes, there are real faithful men and women of God who serve with all of their hearts, minds, and soul, but that doesn't mean they're super Christians. They're still Christians. I don't understand why certain people would be categorized as super Christians just because they're doing what they're supposed to be doing as Christians. Aren't all people called to be faithful and live to glorify God? So, why are they being placed higher than all other Christians and considered "super". Christians are Christians. We are all sinners before a holy God, but by His grace and mercy, we are able to stand confidently before Him because of Christ. He took our sins and in our place, died and gloriously rose again! So, I don't understand how and where this idea of "super" Christians came from.

I guess one good thing about being a "super" Christian is that your faithfulness is being recognized by others around you; maybe your lifestyle or life in general is making an impact on them and really lead them to question how you're different and hopefully, that can lead to sharing the gospel with them. But I'm afraid there are people that measure faithfulness according to what you do outwardly, as if you earn your way up to be a super Christian. If that's the case, we need to seriously dig deep into the gospel. According to the Scripture, the only thing we earned was eternal death. There was nothing, in our own power, that we can do to save ourselves. We were dead in our sins and left pretty much hopeless. No human was able or is able to do that by their own strengths. Just because you do all good works, doesn't mean you're a better Christian than the rest. And plus, where does faithfulness come from? It comes from knowing Christ and having a deep fellowship with Him. And of course, guided by led by the Holy Spirit. I do not see faithfulness as something you stir up within yourself to have. Spirit is the one who stirs you up and points you to Christ, and by having a relationship with Christ and not just having a mental knowledge of him, you grow to be faithful, not because you "need" to, but you really "want" to be faithful to this awesome God.

I guess this blog is somewhat of a vent, but also for me to have a clearer view of God and help sort out my thoughts better.

All in all Ann, just a reminder to self, you are not all that smart and knowledgeable. That should encourage you to depend on the Word of God and really dig deep into His Word. Study it diligently! And I pray that I may not just grow in head knowledge, but to really grow from it and be one who can "conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ" (Phil. 1:27).

Comments

Popular Posts